A multi-purpose, multi-target Point-of-Care diagnostic platform
The LabDisk is a CD-shaped microfluidic cartridge that integrates in situ extraction, purification and amplification for fully-automated molecular-based (DNA, RNA) identification of pathogens. All (bio)chemical components are integrated (buffers, amplification reagents, primers). It is compatible with both PCR and isothermal amplification. Immunoassays with pre-stored reagents are also performed with the LabDisk.
- Universality: Suitable for parasites, bacteria and viruses
- Adaptability: Easy exchange of primer sets according to end-users’ needs, while keeping all other disk and biochemical components
- Multiplexity: Up to 12 targets detectable in LAMP mode (geometric multiplexing). Up to 3 x 12 targets in PCR mode (additional color multiplexing)
- Interoperability: Same device can handle DNA/RNA, protein and clinical chemistry cartridges
- Scalable fabrication technology: From prototyping to batch manufacturing and packaging (microthermoforming for medium volumes; injection molding for high volumes).
- Febrile illness: Proof-of-principle at Inst. Pasteur, Senegal & Central Lab Khartoum, Sudan (panel: malaria, dengue, chikungunya, Zika, typhoid, pneumonia) (www.discognosis.eu)
- Vector control (malaria and arbovirus vectors): Ongoing projects (www.dmc-malvec.eu, infravec2.eu)
- Respiratory tract infections & resistances: ongoing projects (www.diagoras.eu)
- LabDisk @ Hahn-Schickard:
- Production :
Dr. Konstantinos Mitsakakis
Group Leader International Business Development
Place in the Global Health Lab: